• Bishop Hurley attended St. Dunstan Grade School in Fredericton and St. Anne High School in Church Point, Nova Scotia.
• He moved to Detroit in 1955.
• He graduated from Sacred Heart Seminary in 1961 (B.A.) and St. John’s Seminary, Plymouth, Michigan in 1965 (M.Div.).
• Following ordination to the priesthood in June 05, 1965 by Archbishop (later Cardinal) John F. Dearden, he was assigned as associate pastor to St. Dorothy Parish, Warren.
• He served as Vicar for the Warren-Centerline Vicariate.
• In 1972, he became pastor of St. Cyprian’s Parish, Riverview (1972-76), then Sacred Heart Parish in Roseville (1976-1979), and St. Lucy Parish in St. Clair Shores (1979-1982).
• At the invitation of Archbishop (later Cardinal) Edmund Szoka, he began graduate studies at the Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C. earning a license in canon law (J.C.L) in 1984.
Upon returning to Detroit, he served as Judicial Vicar of the Metropolitan Tribunal from 1984-1989.
• In addition, he served as Moderator of the Curia for the Archdiocese from 1986-1990. In 1990, he was designated a Prelate of Honor with the title of Monsignor by His Holiness Pope John Paul II. In 1994, he became a member of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulcher.
• In 1990, Bishop Hurley was appointed pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish, Farmington, Michigan, where he served until November 2003.
• From 1988-1995, and again from 2002 to the present, he has served as Delegate of the Cardinal for Clergy Misconduct issues.
• From 1995-2001, he was the Cardinal’s delegate and project manager for the construction of the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington, D.C.