Communion to Homebound

communion to the homebound“ When there are people sick among you, let them send for the priests…” (from the ritual for Anointing the Sick)

Because we are human, we get sick. Sometimes, it’s just sniffles or the flu. Many times it’s an illness that causes us or one of our loved ones to find that getting to Church is difficult or not possible. When such events take place in our lives then we need to let the priests of the parish know of our situation so that they can assist us with communion or the anointing of the sick. Contact the Cathedral Office to schedule a visit.

What does it mean to be a homebound parishioner?

When illness, whether chronic or continuous, makes it difficult or impossible to get to Church on a weekly basis then the ministers of Holy Communion in the parish will visit with the homebound person, bring them God’s Word, Holy Communion and the continuing presence of the community at the Cathedral of Saint Andrew

What is a Minister to the Homebound?

The Cathedral of Saint Andrew is graced by a number of lay persons who willingly visit homebound parishioners. When they visit they normally bring communion for the homebound person, and share with them the Word of God.

I am not completely homebound, but find it difficult to attend Mass due to my disability?

While we remind everyone that the Cathedral of Saint Andrew is handicap accessible, if you find it difficult to get to Church each week due to a disability, our ministers to the homebound will visit you with communion at least once a month. 

Do the priests of the parish ever visit the homebound?

Yes, but because of their other duties are not able to do it as frequently as the ministers of Holy Communion. The Second Vatican Council has given local parishes, and all of the people of God, an awareness that all of us share in the priestly duties of our Church. One of those duties is to visit those who are ill and a priestly duty that lay people can perform is to visit the sick and bring them communion.

I am homebound and wish to go to confession?

Only a priest can give absolution in the Sacrament of Reconciliation (confession). If a person wishes to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation and is homebound, he or she needs to contact the Cathedral Office and arrange for confession with a priest.

How do I request a visit?

Contact the Cathedral Office with a short description of the situation and we will schedule a visit with a Minister of Holy Communion or priest as soon as possible.


end faq

Contact Deacon Dennis

rybicki dennis

  Deacon Dennis Rybicki

Email Dennis
or call (616) 456-1454 x1903

English Spanish Vietnamese